Sunday, October 19, 2014

New Episode Reaction - Flatline *SPOILERS*

Hello readers. Was Flatline from another dimension, or did it fall a bit flat? I react to the episode here. Enjoy!

About this Story

TitleFlatline
No. of Episodes1
Series No.
Episode No.
Series 8
Episode 9
Broadcast Dates18th Oct 2014
Overnight Ratings (UK)4.55 million
DoctorTwelfth Doctor
CompanionClara Oswald


Rigsy examines the victims of the Boneless


The Reaction

Highlights

  • Clara - Great to see her taking charge again, though with a bit of help this time. Jenna did an excellent job at acting as The Doctor and it was brilliant to see yet another development of the Doctor and Clara's relationship. It also served as an excellent continuation of the "Am I a good man?" motif.
  • Monster - Yet another creepy, well-developed monster. The series seems to be on a roll at the moment, that's three in a row! The Boneless looked great and the cast made them convincingly terrifying, especially when they crept up and attacked George without anyone noticing.
  • Effects - The effects in this episode were done brilliantly. The Boneless in their 2-Dimensional form were brilliantly done, and reminded me of the "floor is lava" games I played as a kid. The zombie versions with the distorted faces of the victims were also creepy. I also really liked the train effects. And two train episodes in a row: asdfghjkl! I like trains...
  • Doctor-Lite - This was Doctor-Lite Done Right! It's like the sequel to Fear Her: People are trapped in drawings, the Doctor and the TARDIS are affected by the enemy, and it's down to the companion to save the day. However, this is so much better than Fear Her: The people are killed and don't come back, the Doctor doesn't completely vanish and still contributes some stuff, and the companion is a billion times better.


Low Points

  • Sonic - So, Clara spends a great deal of the episode pointing the Sonic Screwdriver at the Boneless with no effect. However, as soon as the Doctor appears and brandishes it at them, they are banished to another dimension. How does that work? Maybe she used the wrong setting... But it was a bit of a crappy ending to a really good episode.
  • Supporting Cast - No pun intended, but the supporting cast were a bit one-dimensional (literally in the case of George... too soon?). Rigsy mentioned losing an Aunt to the Boneless, then seemed to completely forget about her. However, I think Fenton was done quite well, with me enjoying hating his guts. It was like Rickston from Voyage of the Damned, with another character stating that the wrong people may have survived.


Quote of the Week

Clara: "I’m um … I’m the Doctor."
Doctor: "Don’t you dare."
Clara: "Doctor Oswald, but you can call me Clara."
Rigsy: "I’m Rigsy. So, uh, what are you a doctor of?"
Doctor: "Of lies!"
Clara: "Well, I’m usually quite vague about that. I think I just picked the title because it makes me sound important."




Thank you for reading! Drop a comment with your thoughts or suggestions! They will be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment