Sunday, October 12, 2014

New Episode Reaction - Mummy on the Orient Express *SPOILERS*

Hello readers. Did you enjoy the sci-fi murder mystery rollercoaster ride that was Mummy on the Orient Express? I offer up my thoughts upon the episode here. Enjoy!

About this Story

TitleMummy on the Orient Express
No. of Episodes1
Series No.
Episode No.
Series 8
Episode 8
Broadcast Dates11th Oct 2014
Overnight Ratings (UK)5.08 million
DoctorTwelfth Doctor
CompanionClara Oswald


The Mummy bears down upon its victim


The Reaction

Highlights

  • Frank Skinner - Not sure whether I can call it acting, but I loved it. It was typical Frank Skinner really: dry wit and sarcastic quips. It just happens that those are my favourite types of humour, so Frank Skinner's presence in this episode was a great addition for me! He also seemed to relish in the fact he could use his stopwatch!
  • Monster - EXCELLENT monster this week! After a couple of monster flops earlier in the series, this week's titular Mummy was a cracker! Creepy and unstoppable (almost), it racked itself a nice kill streak up, and as you probably know, I love a good body count.
  • Countdown Graphic - I loved this little element to the episode. It built the tension leading up the the deaths of the characters, but it's highlight was when it wasn't immediately clear who the next target was going to be. It was brilliant to be left guessing, but it was a slight let down when it turned out to be some guy we hadn't met previously. For me, that would have been more effective if it was an established member of the guest cast. Other than that minor nitpick, I enjoyed the countdowns.
  • Murder Mystery - This has to be my favourite format for a Doctor Who story. It was very reminiscent of The Robots of Death, which I watched on Thursday to celebrate a Doctor Who milestone in my life. I love the suspense and tension built in these episodes, leaving me guessing to outcomes for the various characters involved.
  • Claustrophobic - Another great element to a Doctor Who episode. It gives the connotation that there is no escape from what the characters are facing, making it seem a bit more real. You really want the characters to escape, but you know that they're trapped and their fate is more or less sealed. This is another element taken from The Robots of Death.


Low Points

  • Clara/Danny - I'm sick of this relationship thing already. I find that when companions leave people behind while they travel with the Doctor, they become baggage that drags the character down, and that's what is happening with Clara and Danny. There are exceptions, such as Donna and Wilf, but generally, especially with Martha and her gigantic clan, it can ruin a character because you feel like there's always a part of them that doesn't want to be there.
  • Under-use of Hyped-Up Guest Stars - I am in love with Foxes' cover of Don't Stop Me Now, but we only got about 30 seconds of her on the episode. It's slightly disappointing for me, as I would have liked to have seen more of Foxes. This is a similar situation to Keeley Hawes a few weeks ago in Time Heist, except this time, a bit more extreme.


Quote of the Week

The Doctor: "It might be nothing. Old ladies die all the time. It's practically their job description"



Thank you for reading! Drop a comment with your thoughts or suggestions! They will be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment