Sunday, November 9, 2014

New Episode Reaction - Death in Heaven *SPOILERS*

Hello readers. After last week's gripping reveal, did Death in Heaven soar to the heavens or flop to an early grave? Find out below as I react to the final episode of series 8!

About this Story

TitleDeath in Heaven
No. of Episodes1
Series No.
Episode No.
Series 8
Episode 12
Broadcast Dates8th Nov 2014
Overnight Ratings (UK)5.45 million
DoctorTwelfth Doctor
CompanionClara Oswald


UNIT are on hand to help the Doctor fight Cybermen


The Reaction

Highlights

  • Psychotic Missy - She was ruthless! It was brilliant! To quote myself, "She's such a psycho! I love it!" I never thought it would be possible, but she's clearly even more unhinged than John Simm's Master. As much as I love Osgood and hate the decision to kill her off, I equally loved it. It makes me a bad fan, I know, but #RIPOsgood and I hope that Ingrid Oliver gets a Timey Wimey return, perhaps as Jenna's replacement... Though nothings' been definitely announced about that yet...
  • The Brigadier - I have no idea what possessed Moffat to turn the Brigadier into a Cybermen, but whatever it was, it was brilliant. He finally got his salute and he got to kill the Master! The only thing that cheapens it a bit, is that the Master will probably return at some point in the future while the Brigadier's still Cyberdust in the atmosphere.
  • Humour and References - For a dark episode, it had the right balance of humour for me. Particular highlights were Missy singing her own version of "Hey Mickey" and Kate's reference to The Invasion with the battered Cyberman head.
  • Excellent Acting - Everyone is on top form! Capaldi worked well with everyone, particularly Gomez. Gomez and Oliver were also brilliant in Osgood's death scene. Coleman and Anderson worked excellently together, delivering an emotional performance, while Redgrave worked particularly well with Capaldi. One little nitpick: I'd have liked to have seen more of Chris Addison.
  • Outstanding Effects - Special effects of the flying Cybermen and the scenes of Boat One's destruction were brilliantly done, and the CyberDanny make up and effects were actually quite gruesome. Brilliant job!


Low Points

  • Deception - I know secrets and lies have been a pretty major theme in this series, but towards the end of the episode I was getting really confused and couldn't keep track of what was the truth and what were lies.


Quote of the Week

The Doctor: "That’s your answer for everything isn’t it? Vote for an idiot."
Kate Stewart: "If you say so Mr President."



Thank you for reading! Drop a comment with your thoughts or suggestions! They will be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment