About this Story
|Title||The Magician's Apprentice|
|Broadcast Dates||19th Sep 2015|
|Overnight Ratings (UK)||4.58 Million|
|Missy's back! But can she be trusted?|
- The Big Reveal - The reveal of Davros genuinely made my jaw drop. I have obviously heard all the rumours flying round, but never actually considered they'd come to fruition. It has no build up which doesn't really give you time to prepare, unlike the reveal of Missy in which we had 10 weeks.
- Where It All Began - The return of Skaro also saw the return of Dalek cities of a similar design to the original from The Daleks. The ability to modernize the design with CGI, yet still make make it recognisable was a stroke of brilliance, and the return of the silver/blue Daleks, although anticipated, was pulled off brilliantly.
- The Doctor and Missy - They dynamic of their relationship was deeply explored in this episode, throwing up some very interesting ideas, as well as Capaldi and Gomez working like a treat together.
- Missy and Clara - Once they got over the underlying trust issues, there was a pretty interesting dynamic between these two. Dare I say it, but maybe Missy should get her own companion...?
- Clara - Since the events of Dark Water/Death in Heaven, Clara seems to have matured a bit more. She seems to be more calm and controlled, bring a more convincing assertion over the Doctor, as opposed to the more stroppy, demanding demeanour we saw in parts of Series 8.
- Cliffhanger - This cliffhanger has been extracted from a line in Genesis of the Daleks and brought to life in an excellent way. There seems to be a lot more at stake, with the apparent deaths of Clara and Missy (though I don't believe those for a second...). Just imagine what lengths the Fourth Doctor would have gone to if the Daleks had killed Sarah and Harry in Genesis....
|Clara taken to the Dalek City on Skaro|
- The Grand Entrance - Tonally, this scene seemed a bit out of place with the rest of the episode. It also seemed rather out of character given what he knew was going to happen. Once joined by Missy and Clara, the scene did get better.
- UNIT - Unless they reappear and do something in the next episode, the addition of UNIT seemed a bit pointless.